Got Q's about engagement photos? Stick with me.
If you're in the process of planning your wedding and starting your search for a photographer you have probably seen packages advertised that include an "Engagement Shoot". Among other questions you might be wondering, what actually is an engagement shoot anyway? I'm going to answer the first 5 questions that came to my mind when I first heard the term, way back when I was a smol photographer who'd shot 0 weddings and knew nothing of the industry.
1. What is an engagement shoot? An engagement shoot, other wise known as a "Pre-Wedding Shoot" is essentially a couples portraits session, usually taken in an aesthetically pleasing location that perhaps has some significance to the relationship. Typically it can range from 30 minutes to 2 hours long.
2. But why is an engagement shoot? What is it for? Well, aside from getting some super cute couples pics that aren't selfies, it's also a chance to get warmed up for your wedding portraits. Most people haven't experienced a professional portrait session before planning their wedding and many people describe themselves as a bit camera shy. Booking an engagement session is your opportunity to get used to having that giant camera pointed in your direction, as well as getting comfy posing as a couple so that when your big day comes around those all important portraits will feel like a breeze. This is especially true if you book your engagement shoot with the photographer you plan book for your wedding. You'll be able to get to know how they work, what kind of prompts to expect from them and also start to form a more personal relationship before you go on to share your most special day with them.
3. Do I have to have an engagement shoot? Nope. Certainly not, even wedding photography packages that include an engagement shoot they usually list them as an "optional extra". Your photographer will likely encourage an engagement shoot for all of the reasons listed in the paragraph above (it's as much of a good opportunity for them to get to know you as it is for you to get to know them) and good chemistry with your photographer will always equal better images but if you decide that an engagement shoot is not for you then that's perfectly fine.
4. Do I have to be newly engaged? Not at all, no matter how far along you are in your engagement you are always welcome for an engagement shoot. And don't forget, you don't even need to be engaged to book in a couples portraits session. Treat yo selves.
5. How much does an engagement shoot cost? This depends a lot on the photographer providing the service and as I mentioned before, some wedding photographers will include this as a free optional extra in their wedding packages. Generally though the UK average cost of an engagement shoot is between £150-£250 6. Bonus Round! What do engagement photos look like? Now I can only speak for myself here as every photographer's style will vary but this is how I like to do it; relaxed vibes, lots of silliness, plenty of movement, and heaps of LOVE...
Got a question I didn't answer here? Feel free to get in touch and I'll do my best to help.